While tinkering with the last OS install, I realized I hadn’t set up its partitions properly. I was having trouble removing some existing volume groups, which I was able to take care of doing the following:
$ sudo vgdisplay $ sudo vgremove
vgdisplay allowed me to view which volume groups currently existed, and vgremove allowed me to delete them. Pretty straight forward. 🙂
As a sanity check, I started over with a fresh install. One of my disks had mounted partitions, which I unmounted. After that, I decided to go with manual partitioning (versus Guided, which was what I was doing previously).
Our server consists of 3 disks, each formatted as EXT4:
- sda: 4.0 TB
- sdb: 4.0 TB
- sdc: 120.0 GB
I partitioned the smallest disk to contain my OS. I partitioned this disk into 3 partitions: one for root, one for /home, and one for swap.
- root (primary): 10.0 GB, as there is no desktop environment
- /home (logical): 108.0 GB
- swap (logical): 2.0 GB
Previous to this, I never actually knew what the swap partition was used for (hey, I’m learning!).. In summary, the swap partition is used when we run out of physical RAM. Our server has ~16 GB RAM so this was probably unnecessary, but I went ahead and set it up anyway.
To finish, I mounted the other two disks (sda and sdb) under /media — mediadiska and mediadiskb, respectively.